Monday, September 18, 2006

The Sum of all Weekends

This weekend I went to church. I saw an old friend I hadn't seen in a long time. I also got the chance to meet someone I'd never met before and who I took a liking to immediately (on the way to the bathroom of all places)!

Afterwards, three of us went to Perkins, we laughed so hard we cried (to potty jokes, of course). Our waitress had a sense of humor of the dry kind. Every time she came over my love for her was refreshed. "I love her." "I really love her."

We went to an 80s party - we were out of place. In the new millenium. Or the 60s.


Saturday my laundry got clean, but I accidentally washed my clothes twice when I mistook a washer for a more expensive dryer. This gave me more time to read from this book I've been wanting to read for awhile (I am now 4 chapters from its finish, it is amazing).

Games night! Anna Leisa and I planned on spending the evening with Angie and Justin, at first we were thinking movie...then all the "cards" just came together:


"Okay movie is fine, I can bring Phase 10...or Skip-bo too in case anyone wants to play games" - me
"Ooh, I'm always up for games" - AL
"Yeah, I really want to play games" - me
.
.
.
.
.
"I just talked to Angie and suggested games and she started SCREAMING in delight and as she was doing so you could hear Justin in the background saying 'why don't we play games, we haven't done that in a while'" - AL



So, games it was! I should note that the radio was being very good to me Saturday night on the way to Angie and Justin's. It started off with Captain & Tennille and finaled with the magic of "Lonely Boy" (see previous entry), this was possibly the greatest car-ride that has ever been.

Upon arrival in the warehouse district, the four of us plus Justin's friend Jared got our game on (with snack foods, wine, and soda!). We played the longest Phase 10 game in history (coming in at a little over 3 hours) and then we played Cranium. We all had our mascots - Angie's was a turkey, Justin's was an elephant, mine was a gnome, Jared's was a ninja turtle, and Anna Leisa's was Albert Einstein (who passed out in the jelly belly's - I have got to get ahold of some of those pictures).

One of my favorite moments was when Angie confessed to us that she didn't like Schindler's List, and also when Einstein went through his aged hippy phase. I also enjoyed humming "Brick House" and standing during the last round of Phase 10 (so much pressure mounting!). Fifthly, I look back fondly on Angie's ginormous goblet and Justin's desire to fill it high. Also, do you not know where Armenia is? Just hop in the shower, search the curtain and become geographically wiser (there were no showers taken on game night). Seventhly, Monster. How happy you and Anna Leisa are together.

At 2am we departed toward home, and went to sleep.

On Sunday I holed up in my apartment, watching Episodes of The OC ("don't call it that" - AD), taking a break between each episode to read a chapter from the book I've been reading (with a 10-minute interval for Andrew-Gold-Dance-Time).


It's Monday morning now and I am thankful! I'm thankful for the whole Rock community (that continues to grow). I'm thankful that I have the means to waste 14 quarters on superfluous laundry washes. I'm thankful for wise teachers like the author of the book I'm reading, who are honest, challenging, and encouraging. I'm thankful for my pastor, who cares so deeply for the members of our church, and puts forth every effort to guide us rightly. I'm thankful for games where no one is overly competitive. I'm thankful for laughter, for dancing. I'm thankful to not live the lives of those on The OC - who never have to practice restraint as they receive everything they want the very moment that they want it. I'm thankful for God, that because of Christ's obedience I have been justified, the curtain has been torn, and I can pray to Him whenever I want. I'm thankful for a book full of His wisdom that is always at my fingertips (I am thankful for the three in my car, the three on my kitchen table, and the one following me around on the internet all day at work. At what point does it become too many?). I'm thankful for my nephews and neice and Brenna (I don't know what she is to me, second cousin?). I'm thankful for Muffin, who has probably taught me more about life and God than most humans ever will (plus he's sooo cute).




Dear Blogosphere, how was your weekend? Thankful for anything today?

8 Comments:

Blogger christinesfakeblog said...

First comment: I forgot to mention that I made potato pancakes with turkey sausage saturday morning! I made the fire alarm go off twice!! They were SO good! (I just need to learn more about ventilation)

11:36 AM  
Blogger al said...

Oh, the extra wash(es)! Ha. I forgot about that. I can't believe this entry is about thankfulness. I'm soooo thankful. What a coincidence! You read my mind.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Adam Omelianchuk said...

I had lots of awkwardness this weekend. Except it wasn't the good kind. :(

12:18 PM  
Blogger Unspar! said...

Where'd you get the thankfulness theme? Cuz I had one of those too (thanks to Sarah).

12:28 PM  
Blogger christinesfakeblog said...

God?

1:33 PM  
Blogger Tom, Emily, Brenna said...

Whoo hoo! Mad props to Brenna! We're thankful too!

5:06 PM  
Blogger al said...

Dear Christine,

The rest of today spiraled downward. Two things I don't like happened. 1) My schedule did not go as planned. 2) I didn't feel good.

Still thankful, though. And can't keep my eyes of o' Einstein.

~ Anna Leisa


Dear Ben,

Yep, God.

~ Anna Leisa


Dear Ochuk,

When exactly are you going to acknowledge our acquaintance-ness by linking me on your blog? I really need more hits.

~ Anna Leisa

7:31 PM  
Blogger Adam Omelianchuk said...

Anna L.

I don't think I have ever read your blog. Do you feel insulted now? This is why I have no friends.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home