Friday, September 15, 2006

Subject: Everywhere

I am now 36.9% done with the first volume of the two volume biography of Winston Churchill.

It's a good thing I'm fascinated because I know even if I hated it I'd keep reading until I was done with all 1800+ pages. Good thing Winny, good thing.



I also really like words that have a b followed by a p. skip-bo. skiPBo.

Blog material is kind of running low this week...

This is not true.



This week I went to one funeral, one birthday party, and I sent in a positive rsvp to one wedding (and was struck by all the contrast). I met two people for coffee, watched at least 5 episodes of Arrested Development, and I got two free lamps. I ran 4 miles with Ann, Erica, and AL (we all made it in under 40 minutes - pretty exciting). I slept at least 8 hours every single night this week. Yesterday I hit the snooze button 10 times (that means I got out of bed one hour and 40 minutes after my alarm went off). I ate bread with Flax. Muffin tried (failed) to eat my cottage cheese - not cool, Muffin.

But what I'm really thinking about?

I had an email conversation this week with the Miz (short, but good). It was about things that don't make sense, and yet are undeniably necessary (like tears, or grief, or even laughter). He made a good point that we should be humbled by these things we could never possibly understand.


Three people died this past weekend, all were sad, but the one I was probably the most disconnected with was also probably the most depressing.

Our high school band teacher (I had her in 8th grade) died this past weekend due to complications with her pregnancy/childbirth. I don't know many details, there must have been SOME sort of warning during the pregnancy (so I don't mean that to frighten friends/family who are pregnant), but yet - how terribly sad! I keep thinking that this new life came from her before she had to die. Is that hopeful? I'm not really sure(as I admittedly am not grieving over this death like many others are), but I hope it's hopeful.

My Aunt Lois said to me on Monday as we looked around at our ever-multiplying family "Thank God for children." That had to be one of the biggest doses of truth I'd heard all week.

There's something about children that makes death seem a little easier, isn't there? At the funeral, my Uncle Wally's grandchildren brought up, one by one, all these things that were reminders of his life (tennis shoe, baseball, deck of cards, etc.) and although most of the faces in the church were red and tear-stained, I don't think any could hold back their smiles watching those adorable children parading up to the altar.


So that's what I'm thinking about this week: Winston Churchill, sleep, death, life, children, Skip-Bo. Scattered? Yes, but also somehow grounded.

I'm looking forward to church tonight!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home