Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Chacos, Stratford Evil Genius, and Cinematic Art

I got three things today:


1) My left Chaco fits me perfectly. My right one makes my big toe claustrophobic and caused a sacajawea sized bruise on my foottop.


2) Last night I put my whites in the dryer, and then carefully placed 5 quarters in the dryer and pushed start - I did this so that my clothes would dry properly. I came back an hour later to see that someone had taken all my clothes out of the dryer and placed them in another dryer (in which no quarters had been placed), so that they could place their clothes in my paid-for dryer and come out with a bundle of dry clothes whose dryness went unpaid for.

This is simultaneously pure evil, and also pure genius.


3) I recently joined blockbuster online, and have found I'm once again interested in the classics. After numerous film classes pillaged all the joy I had for good movies, I became physically ill at the thought of any movie made before 1960 and found myself content watching movies like Stepmom and The Story of Us. No longer my friends. I busted out the American Film Institute's Top 100 Movies of the 20th Century, and I have blockbustered all of the ones I have not seen and a few I've seen but feel like I should see again - Birth of a Nation, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove..., and Schindler's List being a few examples.

As a side note, I saw Schindler's List whenever it came out on video, I think I was 7. This was also the day I got my first Diary. My first entry read a little something like this:

Dear Diary,
I got you today. My family watched Schindler's List tonight and ordered Pizza. None of us were hungry for pizza after watching Schindler's List.

Love,
Chrissy

PS: Jacob Pearce is so cute.


That was the last time I saw it, so I think it's time to give it another go.

Other movies on the docket:

Bridge on the River Kwai
All About Eve
The African Queen
Chinatown
Grapes of Wrath
The Maltese Falcon
Raging Bull
Apocalypse Now
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
(old version)
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
High Noon
It Happened One Night
Midnight Cowboy
(not John Travolta)
Doctor Zhivago
West Side Story
(I know! How have I gone so long!? I also want to know why The Outsiders isn't on this list!)
Rear Window
(never saw it despite owning it for 7 years)
King Kong
Streetcar Named Desire
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Philadelphia Story
(old)
From Here to Eternity
Amadeus
All Quiet on the Western Front
M*A*S*H
Third Man
Fantasia
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Vertigo
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Network
Manchurian Candidate
American in Paris
Shane
The French Connection
Ben-Hur
Wuthering Heights
City Lights
American Graffiti
Rocky
Deer Hunter
Wild Bunch
Modern Times
Giant
Platoon
Duck Soup
Mutiny on the Bounty
Frankenstein
Patton
My Fair Lady
Place in the Sun
Apartment
Goodfellas
Bringing up Baby
Unforgiven
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
and
Yankee Doodle Dandy



I'm so excited!!! It seems like a lot...but don't worry, I'm breaking them up with orders for Seasons of the Gilmore Girls and Party of Five, and of course Weekend at Bernies 2...so hopefully I won't lose too much of my stupid.


Edit: My mom just sent me an email asking if maybe I put my quarters in the wrong dryer. Although I cannot refute this argument, I must politely disagree. Evil Geni is my story.

Edit Again: I have a game! Click the AFI link and count how many on the list you've seen. My count was, I think, 42 - I have a feeling many of you will beat me because I haven't seen such standards as Raging Bull, Goodfellas and Rocky. I did see Double Indemnity three times though, if that counts for anything - and it certainly couldn't.



Movies.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah...Rearview Window-amazing...
Mr. Smith goes to Washington-amazing...Vertigo-pretty cool. You have some great old ones on your list. I have a friend that, like me, enjoys older movies. She has introduced me to some cool ones...I'll let you know of some other good ones later...it seems like for now you have a lot to work with.

12:58 PM  
Blogger christinesfakeblog said...

One thing I didn't need to put on the list was Little Monsters. You have NO idea how happy I was to get your package yesterday Emily!!

1:00 PM  
Blogger j said...

65. The Philadelphia Story is one of my all-time favorite movies. I just watched the Third Man again this weekend.

2:22 PM  
Blogger christinesfakeblog said...

Wow Jodi! You're the ultimate movie Queen!!

2:24 PM  
Blogger j said...

Well, my roommate and I were trying to watch them all and I was kind of unemployed at the time, so most of them I watched then.

2:50 PM  
Blogger christinesfakeblog said...

Once again, I'm proven to be walking in your footsteps.

So help me Tony Danza, I WILL make it to 100.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

I think Mom is wrong in this case. Stealing a paid-for dryer was common practice everywhere I lived that had a communal laundry room. At the ghetto in the sky, clothes stealing was an additional benefit of sharing facilities. Darrick and I always brought cards to play or books and guarded our laundry, even after moving to Tucson.

If the person's clothes were still in your dryer, did you hang around to stare when they came to take their clothes out? You don't say anything (just in case Mom's theory is right), but just stare. They'll know. You'll be satisfied. Now that you don't have cable, laundry can be a time to catch up on your reading. And your staring.

I'm way behind on my staring.

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

25. The results of a protected childhood? But then again, I wouldn't have seen many of the old movies on the list if it wasn't for that protected-upbringing.
Looks like I need to get busy.
See y'all in a month or so.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Unspar! said...

56. And there are a number of those you can borrow from me if you want to maximize your Blockbuster output. Like...Chinatown, Apocalypse Now, West Side Story, Amadeus, MASH, the whole Indiana Jones trilogy if you want it, The French Connection, and Rocky. Let me know, I'll bring them to church.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Unspar! said...

Also, Philadelphia Story is at movie in the park one of these weeks, and the opening band is Low, which would be awesome. I think that's the 21st.

10:40 AM  
Blogger christinesfakeblog said...

I am one hundred percent game, Ben - let's make that the beginning of my month long birthday celebration.


Speaking of which, I was thinking that the motto for my Golden Birthday should go a little like this:

"We'll sleep when we die"

11:12 AM  
Blogger mrs. r said...

45...yeah, most of those movies I would love to see, we're just not much into watching movies at all lately, so...Christine, if you didn't live so dang far away, we could make an awesome date night of running and a movie!!

12:41 PM  
Blogger christinesfakeblog said...

Aw, man - Once again, the Tonks is crampin' my style.

1:35 PM  
Blogger al said...

You are Chrissy from the Tonks. (I can't believe you ran into Danny boy!)

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home