Thursday, August 10, 2006

Bangkok Joe takes her home!

If you haven't heard, my brother is a pro-bridge player, and he's really really good at what he does. My brother, along with I think five other Americans, (Joey being the best of course, in my opine) recently went to Taiwan to represent our country in the National Juniors Event. It's sort of a strange phenomenon, how into bridge our family is...but it's really exciting!

Without further ado, this is the email I got from my mom the other evening:

Well, if you haven't looked yet, I almost died last night.

My muscles ached from working out, then I watched the last 16 boards where USA had an insurmountable lead and the commentators were questioning whether Italy would withdraw or not. They didn't and proceeded to kick our butts...

My heart was racing, stomach churning, as Italy got back to within 18 (from down 96) with 1 board to go. Alas they were valient but fell short.

USA hung on and won. First time in history of event to have back to back victories and 3 out of last 4. I imagine Joe and teammates are still celebrating. This is his last time to compete in this, will be too old.

Ironically, in 2003, they lost to Italy in the semi's after being down 104 with 32 boards to go. They came back to lose by 1/2 point. Poetic justice that Italy fell short this time. It was only year they didn't win.

Well, now for some R & R to get my health back. We weren't sleeping well with matches at 8pm, midnight, 3 am and 7 am.

Love to all,

Mom


My reply:

Thanks for scaring the living crap out of me, Mom. I'm glad
you're not in the hospital from the near death.

Guess it just goes to show you can't beat a Grue, and you certainly
can't beat America.

Can I blog this?


I love my mom, I love my brother, and even I really have no idea what most of my mom's email was saying - boards? points? Italy?





Stay tuned, I've still got to blog about the adventures at the Of Montreal show at First Ave last night.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unspar! said...

You saw Of Montreal? Who are you?

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home