Wednesday, June 21, 2006

No more secrets

This story begins in January, it was a wednesday, I was at Caribou Coffee. I got a call from Bill Lautenschlager. I don't get many calls from Bill, however I do know a lot about him - he's been dating my good friend Ally for about two years now.

He called to ask me for some help for a surprise for Ally. Sure thing!

The surprise: He wanted to propose to Ally

So he asked me "Has Ally ever told you how she wants to be proposed to?"

I responded "No...Ally doesn't really talk about that kind of thing, but I can probably find out for you..."


So the next day I call Ally up on the phone...we're shooting the breeze...and somehow I managed to squeeze this question into the conversation: "So how would you want to be proposed to?" without her having any idea what I was up to. She replied by saying that, although it wasn't a huge priority, she'd prefer it to be outdoors somehow.

I promised Bill I wouldn't tell any of our friends (pretty much killed me. I'm dead), he also told me his intention was to propose to her about....10 days later.

5 months later, the morning of June 21st, Bill finally popped the question to Ally!



They drove up Trail Ridge Dr. at 4am to watch the sunrise. The moment the sun peaked its head over the mountain Bill dropped to his knees. From here, Ally tells the story best:

"I remember the first thing he said was 'I love you,' and I remember the last thing he said was 'Will you marry me?' but I don't remember anything in between...I think I caught the important parts though...

...right after I said 'yes,' the first thing I saw was an elk peeing, he was just letting it all out."

PERFECT!!!

CONGRATULATIONS YOU GUYS!!!! I'm so excited for you both!!! Ally, you are getting a MASSIVE hug when I see you next week! Seriously, you're going to get bowled over - knocked on the ground. I can't wait!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaaaahhhhhhhh!
i missed ally's 4 calls and finally got a message!!!! i can't wait to see her! c2
(ps., apart from flag day, did you also know that yesterday was the first day of summer/longest day of daylight of the year?? its all downhill from here, or as my friend chad's grandpa would say "it's almost christmas!")
see you in 6 :)

11:55 AM  
Blogger christinesfakeblog said...

Christine! This was the thing I wanted to tell you, but couldn't! When I said "there's something we'll be able to talk about later," it was this, but later didn't come in Illinois in February, it's coming in Minneapolis in June!!

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't do as good of job abiding by the keep quiet rule.

c2, do you remember when I visited Illinois for staff training and nearly spilled the beans after SNG?

12:58 PM  
Blogger christinesfakeblog said...

All stereotypes about men keeping secrets better than women have been disspelled due to how great I was at keeping this gem to myself and how terrible at itHoops was.

Yes!!!

I finally beat you at something Hoops, I finally beat you. Now I can die happy.


Actually, I instantly told people who have never met Ally or Bill (like my FTA co-leaders and Karl and Maren). That doesn't count, right?

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

christine, i remember that phone conversation! i can't believe you knew back then!!

and i totally remember that too hoops! i think you asked if bill had talked to me and i was like--no, why would bill talk to me?????
but really you didn't spill the beans after all, so you kept the secret. ps, how are you?

i'm so excited for them!!

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C1- For the record, I never officially spilled the beans with c2, which she was kind enough to point out. I just asked that question and then totally avoided the conversation from there on out.

And what's this you finally beat me at something?? As I recall, I was always pounded at cards!

10:06 AM  
Blogger christinesfakeblog said...

Ha! Oh yeah...

All I could think about was volleyball, basketball, archery, dodgeball, gum-spitting, even bowling!

But yeah, I totally beat you to a pulp in every ERS game we ever played. That was great.

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you guys remember the night of cards at the rustic?? also, i believe amber was in fact the ers champ. i know you might not have played with her as often, but she was hardcore!
c2

11:46 AM  
Blogger christinesfakeblog said...

What great times. I may have beat Hoops at every game, but you and Amber beat everyone else at EVERY game.

You were animals!

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home