Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Talk of the Office?

On Monday my coworker told me that I should attend a training session that was to be held on Tuesday. He said it would be a long session, like six hours or so.

So yesterday rolled around, and I came into the office to find a bunch of people (with food) milling around the big conference room. I asked our HR lady what was going on, and she said "it's the training."

So I quickly get to my cube and email my coworker telling him I went into the training, and then I email my boss to tell her I'm in training and won't be able to listen in on any conference calls.

Then I walk into this conference, and the woman who is holding it says "hi Christine" and I say "hi, my boss wanted me to attend this meeting, I hope it's okay" and she says "oh, yeah of course, why don't you sit up here?" (in front) "It's a two day meeting." At this point, I'm a little hesitant, but I figured maybe Derrick mistook "two days" for "six hours." So I sit down, and resign myself to the fact that I will be in two days of training. Then I introduced myself to the room.

An hour and 15 minutes later, we took a break...so I go back to my cube to talk to Derrick. He says to me "....that was not the right meeting." What?? He tells me I should probably just keep going to it since it's good information...but then our boss told him that no I should not continue going to that meeting for two days.

So I had to awkwardly go back to this meeting, get my stuff and explain that yeah, I went to the wrong meeting.

Then I spent most of the rest of my day in the correct meeting.


Why can I not avoid being the most awkward person in the office?

4 Comments:

Blogger Maren said...

that's a great story!

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because you're meant to provide some comedic relief for others and yourself. Ha!

10:00 AM  
Blogger j said...

Because someone has to be that girl.

11:59 AM  
Blogger mrs. r said...

I wish my office would yield fun stories like that, even if I was the protagonist!

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home