Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Personal

"This is life eternal that they might know Thee." Begin to know Him now, and finish never.

Last night Maren had a group of women over to her house, we talked about holiness, blamelessness, and women's head coverings. At the end of the night I tried, and I believe failed, to share with them some of my recent disjointedness.

Saturday I moved my stuff into a garage, and was overwhelmed with gratitude over the community God has thrown at me. Jodi and Tami stayed for hours afterwards and joyfully helped me clean my apartment. They were no doubt Christ for me this day - giving themselves so freely. I had nothing to offer them in return but repeated thanks.

Just the night before Jodi did what only a truly good friend could do - she rebuked me. I have been struck this weekend that this woman took the time to have a necessary and difficult conversation with me, then the next day got down and dirty to help with the worst chore known to man - check out apartment cleaning. Just grateful.


Later on Saturday I brought my cat over to Jess' apartment and the two of us had a good conversation, one I haven't really stopped thinking about since. I love Jess very much and I'm so grateful to God for maintaining our friendship over these years.

I spent the rest of the night in reflection, I somehow ended up in Brooklyn Center, my old stomping grounds. I spent a good deal of time sitting in my car at the Little League fields, reading.

The next morning I received an email from my parents, they'd been in a bad accident, complete with a totalled saturn. I'm so thankful that they're okay, and I think I'm caught somewhere between wishing it wouldn't have happened, and being thankful that things like that do happen - things that shake us up, that put our lives into perspective.

I spent some time this weekend remembering the 6 months of my life before I began to know God. Where would I be right now if that time hadn't been so unbearably dark?

Lately I've been going through an exploratory time in my faith, and the deeper I try to dive, the more I go back to the simple faith that I discovered 4 years ago - I just want to know God, be grateful, and be humbled.

At the little league fields I read the above quote from Oswald Chambers and felt moved to forget everything that has no relevance, and seek to simply know Him.

I think it might take my whole life to wrap my head around that simple call. Anybody have thoughts?

4 Comments:

Blogger j said...

1. I love you.
2. I don't think you failed, but it's also hard to understand fully the contents of another's heart.
3. I love you - when can we have a coffee date?

12:29 PM  
Blogger Bobbi Lee said...

Just had a conversation with a new friend, Tim, about the future - he believes this life is it and is terrified to die... but can't see that there is more than this life. This quote is challenging to me because I believe there is more.
I hope for this friend, he can admit to himself that his soul is made for more than this life. I might share this quote with him.

"This is life eternal that they might know Thee." Begin to know Him now, and finish never.

12:38 PM  
Blogger christinesfakeblog said...

Bobbi, that is really encouraging to read! It sounds like this guy is hungering for something more... If you'd like to read the whole essay, it's here:

http://www.myutmost.org/05/0527.html

J, name a time.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post reminded me of what Paul wrote to the Philippians: "But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider all things loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish ("dung" is the literal translation, I believe), that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ -- the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith." Three amazing sentences! Memorize them! And my prayer is that in your striving to know him you'd get a taste of that same living water that so refreshed Paul.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home