Sunday, April 16, 2006

Dick Enrico and Walk the Line

Celebrity Sighting Alert! Wee-ooh, wee-ooh! Today I was at Lake Calhoun, approaching the playground on the east side of the lake when I saw a familiar face, could it be the moustached man from the tv? I do think so! It all happened so fast, but I turned around to again see that thick black hair that was covered by a hat...a hat that said "2nd Wind." Turns out even celebrities walk around lakes.





On a different note...last night I finally saw Walk the Line. Okay, okay, I know, but I really liked it! At the very beginning of the movie, after his brother Jack (the "good one") dies, his dad said that God took the wrong son. Immediately I thought "nuh uh! He's Johnny Cash!"

The thing that really stood out to me about the movie was how excruciatingly horribly it portrayed Mr. Cash. When people think about Johnny Cash, they normally think "prison ministry," "moving songs," etc. Am I wrong? That's at least what I was thinking going into this movie. Music changes people, and Johnny Cash has been a prime example of that! What I loved about the movie was how it highlighted all of his weaknesses, all his mistakes. It was like, one thing after the other, "Why are you kissing groupies, Johnny Cash?? Why are you cheating on your wife? Why are you hanging up pictures of June Carter in your house?? Why do you keep taking those pills???"

God doesn't make mistakes. God chooses to use broken, sinful, weak people to do his work. There's a scene in the movie where he wakes up, clean, and June tells him that God gives second chances, and this is his. The next scene has them going back to church (First Baptist Church, by the way! That was our New Orleans church!) Thankfully, God actually gives people more than just one second chance and He wants to give the broken, rotten people of this world clean slates to do His work!

On a related note, Happy Easter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home