Friday, October 14, 2005

For it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure - Phillipians 2:13

I had an interesting bus ride today. I found myself listening in on a conversation that a man in the back of the bus was having with someone on the other end of his cell phone.

He was talking about an experience he'd had the other day where God called him to go up to a stranger and talk to him. He kept saying to the person on the phone "The Lord was telling me to say these things. My thoughts kept interrupting it, claiming these words were coming from me, but why would I say that to myself? I wouldn't." Knowing that he was being commanded by God to speak to this strange guy, he decided he had to obey.

Let's pause. I'm trying to think of a situation where I would be able to do something like this, and I can't. When I feel like God is telling me to do something, do I obey? Do I even allow myself to recognize it as God? When I don't feel like obeying, do I simply convince myself that they are my own thoughts and not from God at all?

So without retelling the entire story, I'll just say that I am 100% confident that this man changed the stranger's entire life. As they talked he was relying completely on God to tell him what to do or say next. He was, in effect, prophesying to this man, telling him personal things that only this stranger and God could possibly know. Telling the man the steps God was asking him to do in his life. I know I'm not giving a lot of details, but this was one of the most amazing stories I've ever heard.

A little while later after I got off the bus, I sat down on a bench and prayed and cried and thanked God for people like this man. I thank God that there are believers who are willing to put themselves in awkward positions simply because they know God is commanding them to do so. How much would our world change if every believer had such a heart?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home